A man who suffocated his former girlfriend as part of an 18-month campaign of abuse has been sentenced to two-and-a-half years in jail.
Chakib Aoual 23 (31.01.97), of Fulham Park Gardens, SW6, admitted one count of controlling and coercive behaviour.
He was sentenced at Isleworth Crown Court on Wednesday, 5 August and also given a restraining order to stop him contacting the victim.
The court heard Aoual subjected his victim to physical and emotional abuse during their 18-month relationship before she was able to escape and report the offences in November 2019.
On one occasion he slammed her arm in a bathroom door to stop her from being able to call the police.
Aoual also threatened to kill the victim’s dog and would abuse the animal to cause distress to his former partner.
He would hide the victim’s glasses so she couldn’t leave the flat and used her bank card without permission.
He also completely trashed her flat and spent £40,000 of inheritance money given to the victim.
Detective Constable Chris Wiley, from the Met’s Safeguarding Unit, said: “Aoual took complete control of his victim’s life to the point where she became a prisoner in her own home.
“His behaviour was completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. I commend the victim for having the courage to come forward and encourage anyone in the same situation to seek help”.
+ If you are a victim of domestic abuse or are worried about someone else please have the confidence to approach police or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. It doesn’t matter what your lifestyle is, we will help.
If you need urgent help and cannot talk, dial 999 and press 55 to let the operator know the call has not been made in error.
A man has been sentenced to life imprisonment after he raped and attempted to murder a woman in Harrow.
Aaron Murphy, 21, of no fixed abode, was sentenced at the Central Criminal Court on Friday, 14 August.
He previously pleaded guilty to two counts of rape and one count of attempted murder at the Central Criminal Court following the attack in May.
Police were called at 02:54hrs to Havelock Place, HA1 on Thursday, 21 May to a report of a disturbance.
Officers responded within six minutes and found a woman visibly distressed and suffering serious injuries, she reported that she had just been raped and beaten by a stranger in the road.
London Ambulance Service also attended and the victim was taken to hospital.
Public Protection detectives from the North West command unit launched an investigation and the victim was supported by specialist officers throughout.
During crime scene enquiries the next day, members of the public alerted officers at the scene to a man acting suspiciously. Officers conducted immediate searches for the suspect and found Murphy hiding up a fire escape on a nearby block of flats. He was arrested on suspicion of rape and taken into police custody.
During his police interview, Murphy admitted that he intended to kill the victim after he’d raped her twice, violently beating her up. It was only the sound of the police sirens that made him stop and run away.
CCTV nearby showed Murphy running up behind the victim and approaching her. He then grabbed and dragged her away into a service road to an underground car park.
The victim sustained a fractured cheek bone, two swollen and bruised eyes, purple bruising all over face and neck and scraped knees.
He was deemed to be a dangerous offender and was jailed for life with a minimum tariff of 9 years. He will also be on the Sex Offenders’ register for life.
Detective Sergeant Michael Daly, the officer in the case, said:“The judge recognised the dangerousness of Murphy by sentencing him to life imprisonment and commented that no other sentence would adequately protect the public.
“I commend the members of the public who helped us quickly identify and locate the suspect and the investigation team for their excellent work, which has also been recognised by the judge.
“Although the victim is still recovering from her physical injuries, she will have to live the rest of her life with the trauma of what happened that night. Despite this, she has been extremely brave throughout the investigation, and I hope that knowing he is behind bars will give her some comfort.”
And in a seperate incident, a man who mailed a package containing white powder and violent images addressed to a former Prime Minister was convicted today, Friday 14 August, of a hoaxes offence.
Detectives from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command arrested Christopher Doyle, 54, (13.09.65) from Widnes, Cheshire, on 24 May 2018, following a thorough investigation which started at a postal sorting office in east London.
On 5 April 2018, the Met responded to a report from diligent sorting office staff of a suspicious package addressed to the Prime Minister.
The envelope contained a white powder and graphic violent images.
Met explosives experts attended the scene and analysed the powder, which they identified as harmless citric acid.
Counter Terrorism detectives subsequently launched an investigation and identified Doyle as the sender of the envelope and on 24 May 2018, supported by officers from Cheshire Constabulary, they arrested Doyle at his home.
Police officers searched his house and recovered a number of electronic devices, including his computer and mobile phone.
Doyle was later released under investigation and detectives continued their enquiries.
Specialist forensic officers analysed Doyle’s electronic devices and discovered indecent images of children on the hard drive of his computer.
Subsequently, on 17 December 2019, police charged Doyle by postal requisition with one count of hoaxes involving noxious substances or things, cone count of making indecent photographs of children, and one count of possession of indecent photographs of children.
On Tuesday, 18 February, Doyle appeared at Liverpool Crown Court where he pleaded not guilty to the hoaxes offence, and guilty to the indecent images offences.
He was bailed to appear at the same court on Tuesday, 11 August, for trial in relation to the charge of hoaxes involving noxious substances or things.
Doyle is scheduled to be sentenced for all the offences at Liverpool Crown Court on Thursday 3 September.
Commander Richard Smith, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: “The Met treats hoaxes and any attempts to make MPs and elected officials fear for their safety extremely seriously. We will deal robustly with such incidents and look to bring to justice anyone who commits a criminal offence.”
In addition to the Counter Terrorism Command which investigates offences involving suspected noxious substances, the Met has a team dedicated to managing and investigating reports of offences of an abusive, threatening or intimidating nature against MPs, their staff and families. The Parliamentary Liaison and Investigation Team (PLAIT), launched in September 2016, was established following the murder of MP Jo Cox.