A teenager required life-saving surgery after his intestines were sucked out by a swimming pool filter.
It is understood the horrific accident took place when the 14-year-old became trapped in the purifier of a Spanish pool while playing a game, according to The Daily Mail.
The strong force of the suction meant the boy was unable to free himself and his intestines were sucked out.
His injuries were so severe he required a four-hour operation to save his life.
The local boy had been taking part in a swimming lesson last Friday at a private leisure centre in Carpesa, Valencia.
But according to witnesses, the accident took place at around 9.30pm, when he and some of the other children stayed behind after the lesson to play.
It is thought the children were lifting the purifying vents off and sitting on them as part of a game.
Once it became obvious the boy was in trouble, a trainer jumped into the water to save him, while shouting for the filter to be switched off.
Others also dived into the water to breath oxygen into the boys lungs, according to the newspaper Levante.
A witness told the paper: ‘He was only under the water and trapped for seconds until the purifier was turned off but it seemed like hours.’
Emergency services managed to free the youngster and he was rushed to hospital, where doctors found he had ruptured his bowel.
The teenager, who is believed to be out of danger, is currently recovering from surgery in the intensive care unit of La Fe hospital, Valencia.
The Civil Guard said they were investigating the incident.
You must log in to post a comment.