A man who brutally attacked a woman in north London has been jailed. 

Fiston Onyumbe, 32 (22.09.84), of Pymmes Close, Tottenham had pleaded guilty to the offence of causing grievous bodily harm with intent against a 20-year-old woman at the Old Bailey on Wednesday, 26 July.

He was sentenced at the same court on Friday, 28 July to 15 years imprisonment and an additional five years on licence.

The conviction and sentencing follows an investigation by detectives from Haringey Borough.

On Saturday, 21 January police called at 08:17hrs to reports of a man and woman fighting in a flat on Pymmes Close, N17.

Officers attended but the occupants who answered the door denied anything had happened. Whilst officers were at the door they saw Onyumbe come out of a bedroom; they decided to enter and check the flat.

In a bedroom they found the victim lying on the floor covered with a blanket, semi-conscious, injured and asking for help.

Onyumbe immediately became violent and assaulted the officers. It eventually took six officers to restrain and arrest him.

The victim was taken to hospital suffering a multitude of extensive injuries, including significant blood loss, a fractured jaw, a fractured skull, a fractured eye socket, 35 per cent third degree burns across her body, and a damaged pelvis and spine.

Under interview, Onyumbe offered no comment responses to questions put to him. He was charged with attempted murder on Sunday, 22 January.

A soon as she was well enough, the victim told detectives of her ordeal. The previous night she had gone to a nightclub in Dalston with Onyumbe. His attack on her started outside the club after he strangled her following an argument.

Onyumbe then took her to the flat in Pymmes Close where he tied her up and ripped her clothes off. Over the course of the next three hours – until police arrived – he proceeded to torture her; burning her with cigarettes and boiling water from a kettle, and punching her head, face and body.

His victim even jumped out of a first floor window to escape her torment as he went to refillthe kettle, only for Onyumbe to run out after her and drag her back into the flat, banging her head on the communal stairs and pushing his fist into her mouth until she lost consciousness.

On Wednesday, 26 July, Onyumbe offered to plead guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent and the plea was accepted.

Detective Inspector Fareed Mirza, from Haringey CID, said:“This was a particularly savage and cruel attack undertaken by a violent man who has preyed on and abused a weak and vulnerable young woman for a protracted period of time.

“Onyumbe’s actions on 21 January were calculated, brutal and shocking. The sentence he has received today reflects this, but the physical and psychological injuries to the victim will still take a long time to heal.

“The Metropolitan Police Service is dedicated to protecting the most vulnerable in our communities and bringing to justice those who seek to cause them harm.”



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.