A man who battered a five-year-old boy to death in a park for losing a trainer has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 18 years.

Marvyn Iheanacho, 39, flew into a rage and subjected his girlfriend’s son, Alex Malcolm, to a brutal attack in Mountsfield Park in Catford, south-east London.

He was sentenced at Woolwich crown court by Judge Mark Dennis QC, who said Iheanacho had a “deeply entrenched character flaw” that led him to overreact and lose his temper.

Iheanacho was sentenced to 18 years but due to time served on remand the judge said he would serve at least 17 years and 119 days.

Witnesses heard a child’s fearful voice saying “sorry”, loud banging and a man screaming about the loss of a shoe.

Alex suffered fatal head and stomach injuries and died in hospital two days later. One of his trainers was later found in the play area by police.

Iheanacho, who was in a relationship with Alex’s mother, Lilya Breha, had a “wholly and unnecessary loss of temper”, the judge said.

“The red mist having come down upon you when you discovered that Alex had dropped his shoe,” he said.

The judge said Iheanacho did nothing to raise the alarm or to get medical help. He said it was apparent that Iheanacho, from Hounslow, west London, had a “deeply entrenched character flaw” – “one that leads you to overreact and lose your temper”.

Dennis said that when the violence had subsided, Iheanacho’s thoughts turned to “protecting yourself and trying to cover up” what had happened.



“Only this time the consequences of your violence were more serious than ever before,” he said. The judge added: “You used your undoubted strength and simple brute force.”

He said Iheanacho was a “strong and overpowering figure” next to Alex, who was “completely defenceless”, adding: “The child had done nothing that would justify any loss of temper, never mind a violent loss of temper.”

The judge said Iheanacho had given fake and misleading accounts to paramedics, hospital staff and police. “All this to protect yourself and cover up what you had done,” he said.

The judge said there had been a “disturbing pattern of sudden and violent behaviour” when Iheanacho was frustrated and not getting his own way.

Iheanacho had a string of previous convictions for violent offences, including attacks on ex-partners and robbery. The judge said: “Sadly, the truth appears to be you simply can’t help yourself.”

Alex’s head, neck and body were covered with bruises after the attack on 20 November last year.

Iheanacho carried the unconscious boy to a minicab office and took him to Breha’s flat, while the nearest hospital was just a five-minute walk away.

He then attacked Breha when she tried to call an ambulance, but she managed to grab the phone after noticing her son was getting cold, his face had turned blue and he had stopped breathing.

Doctors at Lewisham hospital tried to resuscitate Alex, but a CT scan showed he had severe brain swelling and he was transferred to King’s College hospital.

He was pronounced dead on 22 November after an unsuccessful operation. It emerged during the trial that Iheanacho had phoned Breha from prison to pressure her to back him up in court.

“There have been problems with witness interference. The defendant has phoned the mother of the deceased,” said prosecutor Eleanor Laws QC.

“We would say pressure is being exerted on the mother of the deceased, with the defendant pressing upon her his defence of accident.”




This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.