A murder investigation has been launched after a teenager was stabbed to death in broad daylight in north London.

Police were called to reports of a group of youths fighting with knives in Tottenham shortly before 6pm on Tuesday.

The schoolboy was stabbed to death in front of a crowd of fellow students after claims of a row over a girl on social media.

Osman Sharif, 16, was knifed once in the chest with a kitchen knife on Tottenham Green, next to busy Tottenham High Road, in broad daylight at 5.17pm yesterday.


There were claims he was killed in a fight which flared after footage of girls fighting was shared on the Snapchat social media site.

A brawl broke out and his attacker pulled out a kitchen knife in front of a crowd of students and plunged it into the teenager’s chest.

Officers and paramedics were scrambled to the scene where they found the boy, believed to be 17, with critical stab wounds.

Despite efforts to save his life, the teenager died at the scene in Tynemouth Road, Scotland Yard said.

Osman’s older brother was seen by witnesses running over to his body and screaming “help me, he is dying”.

Devastated family members were at the scene in Tynemouth Road last night as a murder inquiry was launched.

Sally Mungani, his aunt, paid an emotional tribute to the “bright and popular” media student who lived at home with his mother and two brothers.

He is the ninth teenage victim of knife crime in the capital so far this year.

Osman was stabbed over a video on Snapchat, witnesses said (Nigel Howard)


She said: “He was never in trouble, he was a good boy. He was never connected to any gangs or even been arrested it is a huge shock. He was so young, he was just turning 17 next month.

“Osman would light up the room he was so funny. You would just have to look at him and you would smile.

“We would like anyone who knows what happened to come forward because he didn’t deserve to die in that way. For him to be killed for no reason, it’s too much to take.

“We are losing a lot of young boys‘ lives every day like this. People need to look out for each other.

“But we have lost Osman and he is never coming back.”

Murder: Police taped of the road after the teenager was stabbed to death

Pictures from the scene show the road taped off while officers investigate. Part of the nearby Tottenham Green park is also believed to have been cordoned off following the knife attack.

An air ambulance was spotted landing in the area.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said: “Police are in the process of informing next of kin. A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.”

No arrests have been made.

Anyone with any information concerning this incident is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. You can also tweet information to police via @MetCC

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.