Tariq William-Dawodu

Four London teenagers including a 17 year old Nigerian British Tariq William-Dawodu were sentenced on Friday, 25 September for their part in the murder of Hackney teen, Jeremie Malenge on 6 January.

Sentenced along with Dawodu at the Old Bailey are:

Sanaa Sayed Ibrahim, 18 years (13.03.97) of Homerton Road, Hackney was sentenced to 14 years’ imprisonment.

14-year-old boy from Hackney who cannot be named for legal reasons was sentenced to 12 years’ imprisonment.

Tre Morgan, 18 (26.6.97) of Lyham Road, SW2 was sentenced to 16 years’ imprisonment.

Tariq William-Dawodu 17 (10.10.97) of Love Lane, Woodford Green was sentenced to 18.5 years’ imprisonment


Sanaa Sayed Ibrahim


Tre Morgan

All four defendants, were found guilty of murder at the same court on Friday, 21 August. William-Dawodu was also found guilty of wounding with intent.

William-Dawodu was ordered to serve a minimum of 18 and a half years for the murder and for another “wholly unprovoked” knife attack in the street.

He had been on bail for that attack when he carried out the murder despite being subject to a curfew that had banned him from entering Hackney.

The gang was convicted last month at the end of a six-week trial that had to be halted when jurors reported seeing someone in the public gallery making a throat-cutting gesture in their direction while Ibrahim was giving evidence.

However, they agreed to carry on regardless and went on to find all four defendants guilty of murder after less than two hours of deliberations.

Police were called at 23:40hrs on Tuesday, 6 January to Ponsford Street, Hackney to reports of a stabbing.

Officers attending the scene found 17-year-old Jeremie Malenge (23.07.97) of Arcola Street, E8, suffering from two stab wounds. Jeremie died at the scene a short time later.

A murder investigation was launched by officers from the Homicide and Major Crime Command headed by Detective Chief Inspector Ken Hughes.

A post-mortem gave the cause of Jeremie’s death as a stab wound to the chest.

DCI Hughes said: “Jeremie was running for his life when he was attacked and left on the pavement suffering from injuries that were to prove fatal.


*Dawodu was caught on CCTV with a knife shortly after the attack

The victim had no known gangland connections and had been brought to the UK from Africa by his father in 2004 for what he hoped to be a better and safer future

“The sentences handed down today are testament to the hard work of the investigating team, the numerous witnesses who came forward to assist the investigation and the impressive efforts of Hackneys Integrated Gangs and CCTV units.

“The loss of Jeremie will be felt by his family every day for the rest of their lives. I sincerely hope that today’s justice brings them a measure of comfort in their grief.”

Deputy Mayor of Hackney, Cllr Sophie Linden, said: “I cannot imagine the pain and grief Jeremie’s family have been through. I truly hope that today’s sentencings can bring some comfort to the family. CCTV played a vital role in securing these convictions.

“As well as capturing the attack, council CCTV operators followed the attackers as they fled from the scene of the crime and Hackney’s Integrated Gangs Unit carried out further investigations helping the police to make arrests. We will continue to do all we can to work in partnership with the police.”


Evening Standard

Met Police News

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.